Lotus E21 construction report part 19

Slowest progress ever…

Redesign of cooling ducts, finishing airbox, starting with electronics design and fitting process of the radiators.

There was a little progress over the summer since the last post. My intended finishing date for the car was something about in spring 2017, but with the current progress rate it could move into the summer. 🙂 But one after the other:

  1. I finished the redesign of the side pod cooling ducts. I did a design, when I built the monocoque back in autumn ’13, but in spring this year they proved to have a wrong size and position to fit the radiators (collisions with floor and exhaust end pipe). So, after the redesign they look fine, but it’s still a huge challenge to manage this tight packaging. I see more problems coming when designing the engine cover. 🙂
  2. Quick note on the airbox: All done, lacquered, fitted and sealed. No problems at all.
  3. A few weeks ago, I started with the electronics design. The electronics are fitted in the side pods each below the radiators, below the drivers seat and at the front of the monocoque. The rh side pod is already filled up with just missing out the cooling duct for one of the boxes. Btw – all electronics data are free available at mclarenelectronics.com – thanks MES for that!
  4. At the mo, I’m fighting to get the radiators properly fitted to the ducts.
side pod lh

Lh side pod duct – this duct houses the water radiator and the gearbox oil radiator. The gills in the side pod top face helps to get the hot air away from the radiator.

side pod duct rh

RH side pod duct – this duct houses the engine oil and the ERS radiator. At the very front of the duct you can see another duct which taps off a bit of air to cool the electronics that are housed below the duct. The big duct at the end of the main duct is for the ERS radiator. This will be better visible in a picture below.


Here you can see the finished radiators. At the front – engine water and gearbox oil, at the back – engine oil.

side pod

LH side pod with fitted radiators. You can see very good, how close the exhaust manifold is positioned to the cooler.

side pod rh

RH side pod with fitted radiator. Still a collision of the drain pipe and the exhaust manifold…


Top view of the car with fitted radiators. Against this view looks like, the radiators do not overhang the floor (which exploits the maximum width of 140mm). With fitted engine cover, the width should be 138mm.


Airbox is waiting for getting lacquered…


Airbox is waiting again – this time for getting fitted to the car.


Nothing to wait any more for the airbox. Fitted to the car and sealed off.


The electronics in the RH side pod. Also the ERS radiator sitting behind the electronic boxes is well visible. I could start to explain which box is what, but that would be too much I guess. Also notice all the live locks to fit the engine cover. Zoom in for details…


Tags: ,

About paulsf1

My name is Paul Bischof. I’m a student in mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Graz in Austria, expected finishing in February 2016. Since I was eight years old, I am building model planes out of paperboard. Since 2004 I scratch (that means building without an assembling set) Formula 1 and sportscars in 1:10th scale. The average time I need for such a car is around 400 to 700 hours within 4 to 8 months. One car has around 3500 up to 5000 single components. On this blog, you can take a look on my work and later, after my studies, hopefully you can see me in Formula 1.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: