Lotus E21 construction report part 18
End of “creative break”
Finishing rear wing and start of of internal duct design. Furthermore – finishing my Bachelor degree.
As my Facebook followers might have noticed, I had something like a creative break on building my Lotus. Main reason for this is to find on uni. As I was finishing my BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering and starting my Master studies, there was a lot of stuff to execute. I guess, now in the summer month, there should be much more progress on the car than during the past few month.
Two days ago, I restarted working on my E21. The last few bits I did on the car was assembling, painting and fitting the rear wing to the car.
After removing the existing side pod cooling ducts due to non-compatible size of themselves (a design error), I started to design new one with all the given circumstances. The left cooling duct houses the water and gearbox-oil radiator, the left one engine-oil and ERS radiator. I’m still not completely sure, where the hydraulics cooler sits. Probably at the top of the monocoque below the airbox. As you will see in the pictures below, it’s a tough challenge to achieve the extremely tight packaging, especially in the area around the exhaust system and the radiators.
The airbox is a bit more complex than the previous airboxes I’ve built so far, but the design process didn’t showed any big problems.
Next things on the to-do list are finishing these ducts, than design and build all the electronics sitting in the side pods (ECU, PCU,…) and the PDRS ductings. Now let’s take a look onto the car.