Lotus E21 construction report part 17
Something about Rear Crash Structure, ERS Battery, Exhaust System and Rear Wing
Pretty long time went on since my last post. Some work on uni, some work in Formula Student and a move into a new flat prohibited me working a lot on the Lotus. Nevertheless there are some news since the last report.
Where should I start? Probably it’s worth mentioning at the beginning that the gearbox is now finally fitted to the engine. This comes along with the finishing of the hydraulics pump/hydraulics system which sits on the right hand side of the engine beside/behind the oil pump.
After fitting the gearbox to the engine, I started working on the rear crash structure. Nothing very impressive or interessting to tell about it. With the fit of the rear crash to the gearbox, the car reached its full lenght of 507mm. It should actually be 508mm long, but one mm is within the acceptable tolerance (indeed it’s less than 0.2% deviation). Of course the rear crash structure is hollow to allow the fit of a working rear light. 🙂
Another work which was done within the last two month is the production and fit of the ERS-battery. Although the battery isn’t visible on the finished car, I produced a simple battery model, just as a “nice to have item”.
Next point on my (still endless long) to-do-list was the manufacturing of the exhaust manifold. Always a very demanding and not really liked work. For the first time in my modelling career, I produced an exhaust system, lacquered with a chrome spray. And it looks convincing. The system is already fitted on the car. And the packaging is stunning. I had quite a few problems to make the underbody fit to the car with the mounted exhaust manifolds.
Subsequently I started working on the rear wing. End plates and flaps are finished, DRS and beam wing are still under construction.
There are also some bad news. I had to grind off the whole cooling ducts in the side pods as they were too wide at the bottom. Coming along with this, my radiators are also worthless and need to be redesigned. Luckily radiators are not very demanding to design and build.
The car currently has about 3100 parts. About expected 2500 more to come.
At the end a nice video of the first try to fit the underbody to the chassis.