Lotus E21 construction report part 10

Engine Manufacturing and Nosecone

Over the last few weeks I was working a bit on the engine and finished off the nosecone. Of course, all beside RB10 troubleshooting.

The nosecone was actually not planned to build that early, but some circumstances forced me to build the nosecone now. This circumstances are some kind of a “secret project” which I’ll show you in a few weeks. Target date is first week of April. Wait and see…

Engine: Front wall of the engine block is almost finished. Mounting points to the chassis are all done and looking very stiff. Not much to tell about the engine any more. Apart from the to expect ultra high grade of detail.

The nose is also a huge improvement compared to the RB7 one. The laminate thickness is much more realistic (not that fat as it is at my RB7). However, the nose is very stiff and the nosepins are very rigid. The front wing pylons were also a bit of a weak spot at the RB7. On this nose, I reinforced the pylons with a steel wire each side and provided another tube for picking up the FW mountings. The shape of this nose was highly complex. Especially the bulge under the nosetip and the step were very difficult to get properly done. But everything worked out quite well without any big problems. The nose is probably a bit lower than the original, but at least it’s within the regulations.

Lotus E21

Current state of the RS27 engine. I got a bit of heat damage at the lh side of the engine front. It can happen that I leave it like this to show a few signs of wear.

Lotus E21

The first attempt to attach the engine to the chassis was highly successful. The stiffness of the assemblage is astonishing. The tech regulations require 6 M10 bolts to fix the engine to the chassis. In my case the engine is fixed by six steel pins.

Lotus E21

Nose cone drawing. Loads of regulation lines to start. You can clearly see the bulge under the nosetip which wasn’t there every race. Means, Lotus had at least two nose specifications over 2013. I did not made a lot of research in that direction. As I know that I’ll build the Belgian specification there is no need to know how many different noses they used over the season.

Lotus E21

Structural nose part. Here you can see the crashbox and at the left there is the jig to bond in the nosepins.

Lotus E21

Bonding process of the nosepins. That’s always one of the most critical points of the build (as the nose should be removable). But everything went quite well to my full staisfaction.

Lotus E21

Templates for the black coating of the nose. From left to right: The sides and the lower part are one part (bulge included). Top cover is in the middle. The cutting edge was designed to be covered by the nice gold stripe. The strange looking part on the very right hand side is a front wing pylon.

Lotus E21

First attempt to fit the nose.

Lotus E21

Here you can see the internals of the pylons. The rear tube is the structural beam, the front tubes are the pick up points for the front wing.

Lotus E21

Logo fitting…

Lotus E21

I’m getting better and better doing the paint jobs. The surface of the nose is almost perfect. A few small tweaks to be done, but in general it’s a great finsih.

Lotus E21

Nothing to say about this…

Lotus E21

Chassis: E21-03; Cockpit badge

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

About paulsf1

My name is Paul Bischof. I’m a student in mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Graz in Austria, expected finishing in February 2016. Since I was eight years old, I am building model planes out of paperboard. Since 2004 I scratch (that means building without an assembling set) Formula 1 and sportscars in 1:10th scale. The average time I need for such a car is around 400 to 700 hours within 4 to 8 months. One car has around 3500 up to 5000 single components. On this blog, you can take a look on my work and later, after my studies, hopefully you can see me in Formula 1.

One response to “Lotus E21 construction report part 10”

  1. vmmfanuk says :

    I do love your attention to detail Paul. Every car you make is an improvement over the previous one. No doubt that whatever 2014 car you choose to make (if you do) it’ll be damn near perfect! Keep up the good work, and good luck troubleshooting the RB10 😉

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: