Due to a few bout of tempers by trying to finish the exhaust system, I changed to manufacturing of the gearbox. The first drawings for the gearbox housing I did a few week ago. Now I’ve built the base structure of the casing.
The connection pipes between the exhaust manifolds and the exhaust turbine were quite nerve racking. I let a few cries of rage.
The exhaust manifolds with their heat shields were also quite difficult to build.
Top view of the engine.
The base frame of the gearbox casing. A LMP1 gearbox with casing have to resist much more forces than a F1 gearbox. Apart from the 900kgs of an LMP1 (compared to the 640kgs of an F1 car), the casing must pick up a much higher torque ( about 1200Nm LMP1 against about 320Nm F1).
Current state of the car with the engine and gearbox housing.
It’s slowly getting something like a racecar!