the attempt to build an RB6

In fact that the building of my RB7 stands still because of my studies, I want to show you, what was the initiator for the start of my actual RB7. In autumn 2010, I startet building an RB6, that time not yet championship winning car, but a few weeks later he was.

The reason, why I’ve canceled the manufacturing of that car was, that I made too many mistakes. On the one hand, because of the, compared to the RB7, rare graphical material, on the other hand, because of my less knowledge in race car design at that time. Since then, I’ve studied a lot of technical books concerning race car vehicle design. At the mo I’m reading the SAE Race Car Vehicle Dynamics.

After three month of building, I abort the construction. One of my biggest problems was the engine. I wasn’t able to calculate the right dimensions out of the few pictures I’ve got. The first one I’ve built was much too big, the second one was better, but also not perfect. For the RB7 I calculated dimensions for the Renault RS27-2011 l x w x h of  48mm x 59mm x 41mm till the top of the camshaft housing. I also miscalculated the bottleneck shape of the rear. Also the front ends of the side pods weren’t a masterpiece. I also manufactured two versions of them and was not satisfied with the result. In the course of building, inside the monocoque, a damper element got lost. That was also one reason, why I disclaimed to build a full front suspension at the RB7. Maybe the biggest failure were the cooling circuits – oil as well as water. Look at it.

But when I tell you now all the bad things of the car, I’ve also to say, that there were a few good things. For example the doubble diffuser as well as the front wing, both of them got very well. But the most important was the achievement of winning a tremendous amount of expirience in building model cars and, for sure more important, knowledge in race car design. So that disapointing car wasn’t a complete failure.

Of course, during building the RB7, my knowledge also improved a lot in both sections, race car design and model building. And my next car will be even better than RB7…

Right hand side of the front wing.

Left hand view of the front wing. On the first view very similar to the RB7 front wing. But if you have manufactured a RB6 front wing as well as a RB7 front wing, you recognize that there are relative big differences.

The underbody.

Radiators and underbody mounted to the monocoque.

As you can see, the detailing is not nearly as good as at my RB7.

The f-duct rear wing.

The two wing elements as a single part.

The two engines, one more worse than the other. 😉

You can see the doubble diffuser very well. In that area, the RB7 is much more tighter.

The rear end of the car, shortly before the abortion.

The abortion status after three month of building.

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

About paulsf1

My name is Paul Bischof. I’m a student in mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Graz in Austria, expected finishing in February 2016. Since I was eight years old, I am building model planes out of paperboard. Since 2004 I scratch (that means building without an assembling set) Formula 1 and sportscars in 1:10th scale. The average time I need for such a car is around 400 to 700 hours within 4 to 8 months. One car has around 3500 up to 5000 single components. On this blog, you can take a look on my work and later, after my studies, hopefully you can see me in Formula 1.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: